Brainstorm Thesis Statement Creation Outline
Step 1: Brainstorm Your Ideas (Web or List Format)
The purpose of brainstorming is to put your ideas about your topic on paper. It is important to
somewhat organize your ideas but things may still change after this step. The most important part is to
put down as many ideas as you can think of so you have lots of information to choose from as you move
You can choose to do a web or list based on the instructions below. You have the following page to
complete your brainstorm.
1. Begin your diagram with a circle in the middle of the page.
2. Inside the circle, write your topic.
3. From your circle, draw four or five lines out into the page. Be sure to spread them out.
4. Draw a circle at the end of each line. In the circle, put different subtopics.
5. At the end of each of these lines, draw 5 more circles.
6. In each circle, write examples from the text (with page numbers if possible) that prove your
1. Begin by writing the topic of your essay at the top of your page, centred and underlined.
2. Make 4 or 5 subtopics that fit under your main topic. Make sure to underline these headings and
leave 6 or 7 lines between each subtopic.
3. Under each subtopic, come up with 5 examples from the text (with page numbers if possible)
that prove the subtopic fits with your main topic.